Here you will find some frequently asked questions about mold and mold remediation.
1) What is mold?
Molds are fungi that can be found both indoors and out. They grow best in warm, damp, and humid conditions, spreading and reproducing via microscopic spores. Some mold spores are resilient and can survive very harsh environmental conditions, even dry conditions that do not normally support mold growth. Other strains of mold are toxic and dangerous for humans to inhale.
2) What are some kinds of indoor mold?
No one knows exactly how many species of mold there are, but estimates range from tens of thousands to perhaps three hundred thousand. These are some common mold species:
3) How do I identify mold?
Mold often grows in the dampest and moistest parts of a building. Hence, you'll most likely see mold patches in your kitchen, bathroom or attic first.
4) What is black mold?
Black mold, sometimes called toxic black mold, is a variety of mold that is most often detected in cellulose-rich building materials in damp to water-damaged buildings.
5) What are the symptoms of mold exposure or mold allergies?
The symptoms of mold allergy include dry skin, congestion, runny nose, sneezing, and itching. Symptoms may be more severe in older adults, very young children, and people with underlying health conditions such as asthma or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.
6) What is the difference between mold and mildew?
Although mold and mildew are both potentially harmful household fungi, they do have unique traits that can help you identify one from the other.
- Mildew is powdery and looks like a dusty stain on the surface of whatever it grows on, while mold looks slimy or fuzzy.
- While mold and mildew both share a musty smell, mold smells stronger and is more pungent than mildew.
- Mildew grows on the surface and causes less damage to properties, but mold burrows into its host and destroys it.
- Mildew can cause some health issues, but effects from mold may range from mild to severe.
7) Where is mold found?
Mold spores are everywhere, both indoors and out. Indoors, mold will often grow in places with a lot of moisture, such as around windows, leaks in roofs, pipes, where there has been flooding, behind wallpaper, underneath carpet and rugs, etc
8) Will painting over mold work?
No, painting over mold will neither remove it nor kill it. While the paint will temporarily cover up its patches and make your wall look nice, mold will always reappear, and it'll keep damaging whatever it's growing on.
9) What level of mold in the air is acceptable?
There are no international standards for the amount of mold considered safe or unsafe for human health. However, a 1,500 to 3,000 airborne mold spore count may indicate the presence of mold. If the number of airborne spores is higher than this range, some or extensive remediation may be needed depending on further findings in such homes.
10) Should I test mold by myself?
Mold spores are often released into the atmosphere when the mold is disturbed. Hence, attempting to test or remove mold by yourself without professional supervision is not advised. You should always hire professional mold remediation experts to properly handle mold inspection, mold testing and mold removal in your home.
11) Why is mold a concern?
Mold has the potential to cause health problems and damage to properties. While the mold growth itself is not directly harmful to human health, its spores, which float in the air, may cause allergies and irritation or asthma attacks in whoever inhales them. Also, mold eats through and destroys any organic material it grows on, such as wood.
12) What is toxic mold?
While mold is generally not considered toxic, mold spores are capable of triggering allergy reactions, asthma attacks and other symptoms of mold exposure in people. Black mold -- Stachybotrys Chartarum -- is also sometimes referred to as toxic black mold because claims of health problems related to this mold have been documented in humans and animals for decades